Tuesday, 23 August 2011

08/23

So I am a little behind on my blogs but I will try to fill you guys in the best I can before blogging about my trip to Brisbane and Frazer Island. My Manly beach trip was amazing (I posted pictures of this trip on facebook a couple of weeks ago). I went home with a friend of mine (who lives in Manly) and my roommate from Wilmington came along for the adventure as well. I was able to catch the sunset over the Manley harbor on one of the lookouts from a cliff nearby as soon as we got off the ferry from Sydney. It was absolutely breath taking. You couldn’t have asked for a better view or a more unique set of colors. It was cool to watch the sun set behind the tall buildings of the city and be able to look down and watch the surfers catch their last couple of waves for the day. The next day we kayaked from my friend’s house to the main harbor in Manly. In the meantime we got stuck in a torrential down pour, which was miserable to say the least. We froze on the beach waiting for the rain to pass but as soon as it did the biggest most vibrant double rainbow came out that stretched from the north to the south head of the Sydney harbor. It was by far the best rainbow I have ever seen and something I know I will remember for the rest of my life.
All I could think about was how I wanted all my family and friends right there beside me just so they could witness the same sight and experience the same feelings I had after experiencing one of God’s gracious gifts of natural beauty. I took photos from all different angles but I knew no one back home would be able to get the same feeling or even see the same sight I was lucky enough to experience. This was one of the first times it hit me that traveling is truly a personal experience. You do it for yourself. No one else will be able to see and experience the same particular things you encounter on your journey and at times, this can be very frustrating. You want everyone at home to experience what you experience and to know the feelings you have had and all the things you have done, but that thought and that wish has to be let go. I have learned to truly appreciate and value my experiences for myself and accept the possibility no one else will ever know about it or be able to re-live that same experience. I can feel all of these different personal experiences adding up. I already feel like I am made up of so much more than before I left for the trip.
 After the rain had completely stopped we all got in the water and snorkeled around for a while. The water was crystal blue and I was able to see bunches of reefs and many different types of colored fish (including a clown fish!). To finish the day off before heading back to Wollongong we took a dive to the north head of Sydney harbor. This was also an indescribable view. You could see the whole city of Sydney and the Manly harbor all in one glance.
The next day we decided to climb Mount Kiera (a mountain in Wollongong walking distance from main campus). This was a very challenging hike that none of us expected but the view at the top was more than worth it. You could see the entire city of Wollongong. The entire coast (including both the light houses) all the way to the downtown area. After stopping at all of the different lookouts we decided to take the hike back down. Taking this hike or even driving to the top of the mountain to see the view is something I can definitely recommend to anyone if they are in Wollongong.  
Stay tuned for my blog about Brisbane and Frazer Island. I have so much to tell and I can’t wait to write it when I get some more time! However I am please to say I scored a HD on my Psychology exam that I took today (that is like an A- back home). Who knows how I managed that after spending the 5 days before on vacation leaving me almost NO time to study. But I was able to cram a lot today and pull off a good grade. School is actually getting busy for a change so I think I need to suck it up and realize I am still a full time student over here! Haha!
Can’t wait to tell everyone about my trip! Look for the pictures I posted on facebook for a little sneak peak! J
Love xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment