Monday, 1 August 2011

7/11...getting there

 So I am on the international flight to Hong Kong right now and I figured this would be a good time to make my first EVER blog post. Now, I don’t know how updated this blog will be though out my trip but I am going to try my best to keep everyone informed about my new adventures. I wish I was this amazing writer but that’s not going to happen. I am just hoping to get some of the important things down on paper. 
I woke up this morning (or Sunday morning, I’m  not sure what day it is right now) and I was really expecting to have mixed feelings about the trip. I had thought about the morning and night before the trip multiple times before it actually came and I knew it was going to be tough.  Surprisingly, I felt very calm about the day and trip ahead. Mom and I met dad at church for service where I was told more than once I would be in their family’s prayers and that my journey overseas be safe and full of new adventure. It was nice to feel so much support from people I haven’t seen or talked to in a while and to be reminded that God would be there with me every step of the way.
So after I finished repacking all of my bags (sorry dad) and eating my last Jimmy Johns sub I knew I would have in a while my mom, dad, sister and I headed to RDU. I was beginning to get a bit nervous but the excitement was right there with it to balance it out. After the minor catastrophe of realizing I forgot the jacket I was planning to wear on the plane I was standing in front of security ready to check the rest of my bags and say my goodbyes to the people I love the most.  I broke down of course but it wasn’t because I was scared or felt I was going to be alone. I knew my family was going to be right there with me though this journey whether they were in physical presence or not. I could feel the support from them as they hugged me goodbye. I knew they were going to miss me but I also knew they felt the same confidence that I had in myself to accomplish this amazing journey. I couldn’t ask for a better set of parents. Mom and Dad, I want to thank you again for letting me do this. Thank you for all your support and trust. It means so much to me to be given this opportunity to see the world and grow so much as an individual. I know I will come back with a completely different mindset. I know I will go through hard times on this trip where I am scared and miss home but this experience is going to give me a new sense of self confidence I will carry with me for the rest of my life. It will show me I can get though things, by myself, and that is something I really want for myself.
So a little bit about the flight...1)Dad there is NO way I am going to be able to fly coach after  this..sorry you set yourself up for that one and 2) Have you ever really had fresh squeezed orange juice? Yeah, I thought I had to but there was no chance..this is the REAL stuff. After reclining my chair, kicking my feet up, snuggling up in a cozy goose down blanket  and watching 2 episodes of East Bound and Down (David one of my new favorite shows) I was offered a drink of my choice and a meal. I decided to go with the white wine and the light meal because I was tired and knew I wanted to get some sleep soon. After wiping my hands with a hot towel and finishing my warm nuts as an appetizer they presented me with my dinner. Not only was the display beautiful but the food was AMAZING. I got a salad with grilled shrimp, asparagus cream soup (which was amazing), a buttered roll, fresh raspberries, blackberries and strawberries and a raspberry mango cheesecake for desert which was to DIE for.  After I ate I turned on a movie and reclined all the way back with Marty (my stuffed zebra for those of you who haven’t got the pleasure to meet him) and it wasn’t but about 5 min when I fell asleep for about 8 solid hours. I now have about 2 hours left on the flight to Hong Kong. I couldn’t have asked for a more comfortable trip and I thank you Dad for all the years off your life you gave for me to have this.
So to sum up this long blog I would like to thank everyone who has allowed me to go on this trip. I know it’s going to be an amazing experience and I can’t wait for it to begin. David, I want to thank you for how supportive you’ve been as well. You have helped me transition so much already and I know you are going to continue to be there for me along the way. I couldn’t ask for anything more than that. I will miss so many people though out this trip but I will be in contact with everyone and be back before you and I both know it. Please keep me in your prayers and you will be in mine as well.
I love everyone very much and I will try to update once I get in to Sydney.
Take care…breakfast is being served J
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment