Monday, 1 August 2011

8/01

So classes have started and I ALMOST feel like a student again. I was really lucky to get a good time table for the semester which consists of classes only Monday through Wednesday…leaving me plenty of time for long weekend travel. I am in three courses here at University of Wollongong: international media/ intercultural communication, Psychology of Personality and a marketing course (advertising practice and creative strategy). These courses will all be able to be transferred and accounted for back home in Wilmington. Wollongong’s campus is beautiful. It is about the same size as Wilmington but has a lot more diversity in terms of the layout, building design and landscaping. There are a lot of bridges, ponds and huge grassy lawns that still manage to stay green in the dead of winter. Many areas look like you are walking through a rain forest with bight colored birds and vegetation.  The buildings and classrooms are very modern. The library is probably one of my favorites; thank gosh because that’s where I will be spending most of my time ;). It is a huge 4 story building made almost completely out of glass. The recreation center is nice as well, with a HUGE heated outdoor swimming pool, multiple rugby fields, tennis courts, racket ball and badminton. I decided not to go with a membership there but with the gym at campus east (more convenient). I have been going to the beach a lot (surprise, surprise) because the weather has been amazing. During the day it gets to about 62 and this week it is suppose to get even warmer! Unfortunately it is still very chilly at night! One of my friends just brought down his extra wetsuit from Sydney so we are going to start surfing together soon. I have continued to meet bunches of people everywhere I go. I can’t get over how friendly everyone is here. It is true, Australians are some of the nicest people on Earth. I am getting use to all the weird lingo and phrases, although some still catch me off guard and I manage to hear something new every day. Some new words include: Dunner- comforter for your bed, “get a feed”- go out to eat, Coldie- a beer, Ay?- Followed by every single word said.., Trackies- shorts, Boardies- guys swim shorts, Joggers- Tennis shoes, Thongs- flip flops, Gumboots- rainboots, Chips-fries, Heaps- A lot (also said about every other word) Lollies- gummy candy, Mackers- MacDonald’s, Goon- box wine (aka the only affordable alcohol), Uni- University, Kabob- A wrap made with shaved meat and salad(veggies). That’s all I can think of now but there is so many more. They basically could make up a word or a phrase and no one would say anything and continue to go along with it (but heaven forbid I slip up and say “yall” or “dang” or “it’s cold out” because then I’m pretty much a redneck haha). I can tell I have grown so much from this already. Just knowing that I have gotten this far this quick; making friends, figuring out all the public transportation systems to get around town and Uni, setting up my bank account and booking flights for my next traveling trip. I never thought I could do all of this by myself or at least be settled in and feeling more at home this quick in to the experience. I miss home and my friends and family more than anything but I know I will be back so that has allowed me to enjoy what is in front of me: my new friends and my new “family” and of course the beautiful location I am lucky enough to now call home. I am so lucky to be given this experience and I know I am going to grow so much from it. I hope everyone is doing well and is staying healthy ( I am trying to even though it seems the entire campus east has a cold and sore throat right now after a long orientation week full of fun and NO sleep). My next couples of weekends are pretty eventful. Ulladulla, NSW this weekend (about 2 hours south of Wollongong on the coast). It is one of my new friend’s hometown and he is going to take me and my friends camping and hiking. It is suppose to be small farm town with beautiful mountains and beaches. I should get to see some more kangaroos! The weekend after that I will either be back in Wollongong or in Sydney. The 18th-22nd I have a flight booked for Brisbane which I am VERY excited about. I am going with my friend Beth and my Wilmington roommate Jackie and maybe a couple more. We will be visiting the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (home of 100s of Australian animals and you can even hold the Koalas!), The Botanic Gardens, see an AFL (Australian Football League) game and spend a night or two at Frazer Island (which is supposed to be absolutely beautiful, look it up if you are not familiar with it!). It is the largest sand Island in the world and the only place in the world where tall rainforests are found growing on the sand dunes. I will be sure to post after all my adventures!
Love you guys very much!          

No comments:

Post a Comment